Experienced Victorville DUI Lawyers Assist Clients Charged with Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol or drugs is a crime that is prosecuted aggressively in Victroville and elsewhere in the High Desert, Hesperia and Barstow region. The penalties for a first offense of Driving Under the Influence in California can be harsh: possible mandatory incarceration, hundreds to thousands of dollars in fines, restrictions on your driving privileges, and court costs and fees associated with probation are just a few of the consequences of being convicted of DUI. If you obtain multiple DUI convictions within a ten-year period, these penalties can be enhanced even further. The Victorville DUI attorneys of SNL Law Group, APC are available now to help defend you against your DUI charges.
A DUI conviction can also negatively affect your employment opportunities. If you drive a vehicle for a living (a commercial driver or taxi driver, for instance) you may find that it’s improbably for you to continue in that profession after a DUI conviction. Call us right now at (760) 951-5058 to schedule a free consultation with our attorneys.
The Penalties for DUI in California
Driving under the influence is typically charged as a misdemeanor offense in the State of California. However, if the driver has accumulated at least three DUI convictions within a ten-year period and he or she is convicted of a fourth DUI offense within that same ten-year period, the driver may be charged with a felony. Additionally, if the driver is convicted of driving under the influence and causing a car accident that results in an injury or death to another person, the driver may face felony charges. A person can be considered driving drunk if:
- His or her breath alcohol concentration is 0.08 or greater; or
- He or she is determined to be under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or a combination of the two
The precise penalties you will face for a DUI conviction will depend in large part on the number of previous DUI convictions you have accumulated in the last ten years (referred to as the “lookback period”):
- No prior convictions: Up to six months in jail and up to $1,000 in fines;
- One prior conviction: Up to one year in jail and up to $1,000 in fines;
- Two prior convictions: Up to one year in jail and up to $1,000 in fines;
- Three or more prior convictions, or felony DUI: Up to sixteen months in prison and $1,000 in fines;
- DUI resulting in death to another: Possible life imprisonment and a “strike” pursuant to the “Three Strikes Law” in California.
The penalties mentioned above don’t include other penalties or collateral consequences of a DUI conviction in California. For example, you can expect to be placed on probation for a period of time and have your driving privileges suspended or revoked.
Drunk Driving Defense Attorneys in Victorville. Serving Apple Valley, Hesperia & Barstow
Despite the scientific-sounding evidence available in a DUI case, (blood or breath tests, standardized field sobriety tests, etc.), an experienced Victorville DUI defense attorney can help you attack, and possibly dismiss the prosecution’s evidence. For example, you may be successful in your DUI case if it is shown that:
- The officer did not have reasonable suspicion to pull you over;
- The officer did not have probable cause to arrest you for DUI;
- The breath testing machine was malfunctioning or produced an unreliable reading;
- The blood sample collected from you was not properly collected or tested.
Contact SNL Law Group, APC, DUI defense lawyers in Victorville serving Hesperia, Apple Valley & Barstow. We will move swiftly to protect your driving privileges and work to obtain a favorable resolution to your DUI charges. Contact our office at (760) 951-5058 today to schedule your free consultation.